Friday, October 4, 2013

What's for dinner?

One of the toughest struggles my husband & I have every night is what to have for dinner.  If I had it my way we'd be eating all sorts of delicious meals I find on the web/in my cookbooks (maybe a little exaggeration).  The problem...my husband is a picky eater.  Now, I'm kind of picky also but he is P.I.C.K.Y.  There are so many things he doesn't like that makes cooking tough sometimes.  I recently found out that one of my favorite dishes to make (TexMex Cavatappi) that I've made several times in the past he actually HATED!  This came as such a surprise to me because each time I made it, he'd finish his bowl.  You can only imagine how depressed I was.  His words: "I ate it because you made it but it was actually gross"....confused much?

One thing I did to ensure I'd have recipes I KNEW my husband would like...go to his mom, Momma K.  She gave me a few recipes she used to make when Tom was growing up that he liked, so I knew I was safe.  One of the recipes has now become one of MY favorite meals and I probably make it once a week.  The dish....Turkey and Spinach Burritos.  I have NEVER been a fan of spinach but for some reason, I LOVE these burritos.  They're so easy to make (even with baby T) and can even be prepped ahead of time.  I convince myself these are "healthy" burritos so I don't feel as guilty when I'm helping myself to a second serving (they have lean turkey and spinach, they've got to be healthy right?).   The preparation time is about 20 minutes so even the busiest of busy people can make this.  Here's what you'll need:

1 - package of lean ground turkey
1 - bag of frozen, chopped spinach (if you can't find a bag, just use 2 of the bricks)
8 ounces of cream cheese (brick)
2 cups of grated cheese (I like colby jack or cheddar)
1 can of Rotel (I like to use the hot) or 1 jar of salsa 
1 package tortillas
Cumin to taste

First, place the frozen spinach in a pot with about a cup of water, cover and cook over medium heat.  While the spinach is cooking, brown the ground turkey in a separate pan over medium to medium-high heat.  I don't really time anything, I normally just eyeball it to determine when it's done to my liking (spinach no longer frozen and meat browned).


Once the spinach is cooked, drain it in a strainer.  While I'm waiting for the meat to finish cooking, I usually grate the cheese and blend the Rotel (remember Mr. Picky? He won't eat tomatoes or anything that looks like a tomato so I usually disguise it by blending it, muhahaha).  Unfortunately for me, my grater broke (seriously how does this happen?) so I had to use the packaged cheese already grated.  There's nothing wrong with using this kind of cheese.  In fact, it'll save you a little time if you're in a hurry.  I just prefer to use block cheese that I can grate myself because it seems to melt better but for tonight, I'll be using the already grated cheese.
 
(Left: Rotel from can and yes, there was a piece of the
label that fell in but was removed. Right: Blended) 

Once your turkey is browned, add the cream cheese and salsa/Rotel.  Break up the cream cheese so that it can melt a little easier.  Mix everything really well.  Once the cream cheese is close to completely melted, add about a tablespoon of cumin.  Remember that when it comes to spices you can always add more later if it needs it but you can't take it out.  Start with a little bit, taste your mixture and determine if it needs more.  I don't measure the cumin when I add it in because I love cumin so for me, you cannot have too much.  Once the cumin is added, add in the spinach.  Mix everything together and let cook another 5 or so minutes (again, I don't time anything).  



While the mixture is finishing up, lay out your tortillas and spray your dish with a non-stick cooking spray (no judgies, I only had butter flavored from my baking stash).  Fill the tortillas evenly with the mixture, fold and place in your baking dish.  Once you have all your burritos filled and in the dish, top with the cheese.  Use more or less depending on how YOU like it.  Cover with foil & bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  


If you prepped ahead to make for later (like I did....thank you afternoon nap time), just take out of the fridge about 15 minutes prior to cooking.  You can serve your burritos with pico, sour cream or even guacamole (or fresh avocado slices), although we just eat them straight from the oven.  

**Disclaimer - DON'T eat straight from the oven.  You WILL burn yourself!!** 
Obviously we let them cool and then eat.

 For the last 5 or so minutes, remove the foil to allow the
cheese to crisp just a bit.

There you have it.  That's what's for dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant - love it!
    Does he like lasagna? I have a wonderful crock pot lasagna recipe.
    Does he like Macaroni & Cheese?
    Do you think he'd like Taco Soup? Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's not a huge pasta fan. I love lasagna, but he's so picky on how it tastes. He loves macaroni & cheese! I've seen a few different recipes for taco soup. They sound delicious & I may just have to make it one night!

    ReplyDelete